Friday 21 September 2007

Panentheism and Christianity

Nearly all major religions have a number of adherents who interpret their spirituality from a panentheistic point of view, and Christianity is no exception. I have a background in Christian evangelicalism, and while I have moved away from evangelicalism, I still see myself as some sort of Christian, albeit a heretical one in the view of many!

The Bible cannot be said to be a panentheist’s handbook but it does provide some elements of panentheistic spirituality. One of my favourite examples of this is Psalm 139, which provides a song of praise to the God who hems us in - whose presence fills every corner of existence. It highlights a crucial difference between panentheism and pantheism – that being the potential for some sort of individual experience with God and that God has a self and has exert able power. Not all panentheists see God in this way; but the philosophy allows the possibility; and it is one that rings true for me.

No comments: